Become a mediator at
Central Susquehanna Valley Mediation Center, Inc.
Central Susquehanna Valley Mediation Center, Inc. (CSVMC) provides mediation services to individuals in Snyder, Union and Northumberland Counties. Mediation offers people the chance to come together to talk things out, work out agreements or decide what their next steps will be. Commonly, cases include:
- Separated or divorced parents discussing how to share responsibility for their children
- Adult children discussing aging parents
- Neighborhood disputes
- Business and consumer complaints
- Coworkers talking through difficulties
CSVMC mediators help people have difficult conversations on participants’ own terms. Our training is based on the transformative framework of conflict intervention, first articulated in The Promise of Mediation by Robert A. Baruch Bush and Joseph P. Folger.
Mediators learn to:
- Understand conflict as a crisis in human interaction
- Listen well and deeply to what people are saying
- Reflect and summarize what they hear, helping people hear themselves and each other
- Facilitate conversation for those caught in conflict to help them make the best decisions they can, given the situation they face and the perspectives of others involved.
Mediators make a commitment to volunteer for at least two years after completing their training.
Being an active mediator
To remain a mediator in good standing with CSVMC, the following ongoing requirements must be met:
- A mediator must be willing to accept two mediation assignments each month. Most cases are co-mediated.
- A mediator must participate in continuing education, as available through the center, and should attend at least one workshop or training each year.
- Advanced training may be offered periodically, and mediators are encouraged to participate.
CSVMC’s volunteers undergo an initial 40-hour training, which is spread over two weekends. Our next training session will be held:
Friday, March 16,, 2018 from 5 to 9 pm
Saturday, March 17, 2018 from 9 am to 6 pm
Sunday, March 18, 2018 from 9 am to 6 pm
Friday, March 23, 2018 from 5 to 9 pm
Saturday, March 24, 2018 from 9 am to 6pm
Sunday, March 25, 2018 from 9 am to 6 pm
Training will be held in the Snyder County East Building at 713 Bridge Street in Selinsgrove, just off Route 522.
After you successfully complete mediator training, you will be asked to observe at least two mediations, then you will be paired with an experienced mediator to conduct your mediations. Most mediations are held at our facility in Selinsgrove.
Download an application
Deadline: Friday, March 2nd, 2018